Wednesday 23 January 2013

Game #1: Astavoid

Back in December I uncovered an article by Christer Kaitilia about his challenge of writing and producing 12 games in 12 months in 2012.

I found the article to be very motivational and a great idea. I watched with interest as his idea evolved into a challenge to indie devs to follow suit in 2013 and from which http://onegameamonth.com/ was born.

From previous blog entries you will have seen my angst at not producing any new games since the launch of Astavoid in April 2012 for iOS and Android. I thought this was a perfect way to refine my design skills by making something that could be produced from start to finish in a month to keep my ambition in check. The way I thought I could bolster my utility belt of expertise and knowledge was to design games in a way that each one although different added new features and concepts.

This also coincided with my porting of Astavoid from Corona SDK to Unity which I had written a diary on of part one and part two. I can now finalise part three given that I have delivered on the project.

What I liked about this whole approach is that I started off too big and was getting demotivated by the challenges I was facing. So I started off with a cross platform port of Astavoid and in the end resulted in just a port to be played in a web browser. But thats the point right, redesign but ensure you finish a game?!? No point spend no time and not finishing it.

So my January game is Astavoid ported from Corona SDK and Lua to Unity and C#. This has meant I have learnt the challenges around physics, atlases, refactored all the code, increased frames per second from 30 to 60 as well as have a template for February's game.

Why not check out Astavoid now as its free to play via a web browser here and as a means of comparison you can still download the original Corona / Lua version on iOS and Android.

I also encourage you to sign up for one game a month as I have found now in my second year of game development that this really focuses the mind.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;