Monday 10 October 2011

The test for prototyping

In order for me to devise a fair test of the development tools proposed in the earlier post I need to ensure I am creating something comparable. As a result I have come up with a physics test.

The following functionality will provide the test:

- User presented with menu screen to start game. Game logic test
- User clicks on screen to drop a box vertically which has to land in red box to count.  This provides a physics test
- The clock ticks until there are 10 boxes within the red boxes.  This provides a conditional test
- Boxes that fall outside the box won't be counted.  Logic test
- Any box should have its own physics to interact with its other in a manner expected in the real world.  Collision detection test
- At point 10 boxes being reached, the timer is stopped and presented back to user.  The user has the option to retry.  Game logic test

Now I don't profess to know what I am doing, at the moment, in regards to game design but I need to start somewhere and this to mean seems a sensible approach.

It's also important to note that I will only be focusing on a 2 dimensional test at this point for brevity as I don't intend to make this my life's work.  While going through the prototype I hope to ascertain a few things about each development tool:
  • Ease of use
  • Potential customisaton and scope
  • Potential cost of development
If I am finding that an environment is taking too long to achieve this then I will remove them from the test for now and relook at the product further into this project.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;